Open the door to creativity! Paint a charming scene with a rustic door, foliage, and loose florals using Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors featuring the PrimaTek Set — made with genuine mineral pigments for vibrant, sparkling shades! Learn to sketch with a pencil and ink on watercolor paper. Then,...
1. Print reference image.
1. Stretch 300 lb watercolor paper onto foam board using low tack artist tape.
2. Sketch the image using an HB pencil.
3. Use the 03 Micron Pen to outline basic elements of sketch.
4. Mix Daniel Smith PrimaTek and Primary colors with water on your palette.
5. Paint wet into wet using ½" wash brush (Door, Windows, Shingles, Foliage, and Shadows):
• Paint clean water on to door. Paint wet into wet using Round 6. Leave some highlight areas white.
• Paint clean water on to windows. Paint wet into wet using Round 6 and allow color to pool darker in shadowy areas.
• Paint clean water in to shingles. Paint we in to wet using Round 6. Leave brightest areas white for highlights.
• Paint clean water on to sky/sides using warm and cool washes using Round 6.
• Paint clean water into monstera, paint wet in to wet using bright green. Follow same process for darker green foliage in background.
• Paint clean water on to floor level. Paint wet in to wet. Darken area where door meets the floor.
• Outline plant stand using Hematite.
• Allow to dry briefly between layers.
6. Paint the outlying foliage wet into wet using a Round 6 brush.
7. Paint the flowers wet into wet using a Round 6 brush.
8. Paint loose florals and foliage using a Round 6 brush.
9. Use Round 6 brush to continue to paint layers of detail until painting is complete. Allow to dry for 24 hours overnight, then carefully remove tape from the board.