1. Choose a shape and design for your coat of arms. Sketch it onto a 12" x 9" x 1" block of Sculpture Canvas. Draw double lines dividing the design into four quadrants. Sketch a design in each quadrant representing your interests, profession, character traits, etc. Draw a ribbon shaped banner across the bottom to hold a family name.
2. Cut out the coat of arms and banner with a coping saw and knife. Use finer sculpting and shaping tools to carve away the areas around each design. Add further definition using basic wood chisels. Carve and sculpt as much detail as you want.
3. After sculpting, use sandpaper to smooth the edges. Cut the sandpaper into smaller pieces to reach into crevices. Prime the foam for painting with a coat of white acrylic paint. Apply two coats if necessary.
4. Use Blick Artists' Acrylic to add color and details. Experiment with different techniques to achieve the desired effect. When paint is completely dry, add a coat of Blick Artists' Acrylic Matte Varnish for a satin finish.
5. Attach a Lineco Self-Stick Easel Back or sawtooth hanger to the back of your creation, and your coat of arms is ready for display!