1. Divide your wood painting panel using a pencil and ruler. Horizontal lines: –Make a line 2" from the top of the board. –From the top line make another line 2" down, then make another line 3/8" down from that. Repeat this four more times. Vertical lines: –Draw a line down both sides of the board 1/2" from the edge. –Draw another line 2" from the first line. Repeat four more times.
2. Color in the squares on the board using paint markers. When the paint is dry, use a stencil to add the numbers 1–25 to the squares.
3. Brush on a layer of Mod Podge to protect the board. Let dry.
4. Measure to the middle of each colored square and make a mark at the top. At this mark, hammer in a thumbtack or short nail. Make sure it's hammered in most of the way.
5. Finish the board with a decorative ribbon. You can make your own or pick one up at a holiday store. Add a hanging wire.
6. Decorate each mini canvas with paint markers and washi tape.
7. Add a layer of Mod Podge to each canvas to protect the design. When dry, glue numbers 1–25 to each canvas. The ones shown above are stenciled numbers on wood shapes.
8. Attach a sawtooth hanger to the back of each canvas.
9. Put small gifts in the back of each mini canvas and hang them on the board. The gifts can be anything — small toys, candy, inspirational quotes, jokes, fun facts! Each day in December, take off the canvas with the corresponding number and reveal the gift. Tie a ribbon to the sawtooth hanger and hang each canvas on your Christmas tree as a pretty ornament.