click image to zoom in
- Cut 10 basswood strips to the same length. The longer they are, the bigger your star will be.
- Join two strips together with a rubber band. Repeat this pairing and banding until all but two strips are banded.
- Join two banded strips together on the opposite, open ends. Gently them pull open, creating a “W” shape. Cross the outer ends of the “W” over the center. Use a single strip of basswood to join both remaining un-banded ends of the shape.
- Repeating Step 3, create a second, identical star.
- Stack the star shapes together. Loosely band each of the five points, joining the top and bottom star together.
- Use the star as a template to trace the exact pattern on decorative paper and cut it out. Repeat this process so you have two pieces of paper and set them aside until Step 10.
- Cut five pieces of basswood about 1/5 the length of the pieces from Step 1. These pieces will become spacers between the two star frames.
- Gently pull the stars apart in the center. Glue one spacer in each of the five corners of the hexagon shape in the center of the star.
- Trace a single inner triangle of the star to use as a template. Cut 10 triangles from decorative paper.
- Cover the star with decorative paper and glue it in place.
- Optionally, add a light inside before covering the back. Leave a section of paper open for easy access if needed.