How To Draw a Realistic Wolf With Katy Lipscomb
Learn how to draw a realistic wolf with artist Katy Lipscomb and Derwent! In this step-by-step drawing tutorial, Katy shares her top tips for sketching, shading, blending, and building layers with Derwent Inktense and Chromaflow Pencils. Learn why Katy chooses Derwent for her illustrations, create f...
1. Create an initial sketch with Derwent Inktense Pencils.
2. Start by lightly roughing in simple shapes, then build up to more complex forms.
3. When you’re happy with your sketch, apply a base layer of color to establish areas of light and shadow
4. Apply water to blend the pigments and allow to dry.
5. Use Derwent Chromaflow Pencils to begin building up light layers of color.
6. Resist the temptation to press hard or apply color heavily at this stage, as gradual layering is key for creating rich color and detail. (Combine with step 5)
7. For areas of detail such as the eyes, nose, and fur, use darker colors to sculpt and emphasize recessed areas rather than drawing in individual elements.
8. Burnish by applying one last light layer of color.
9. Use a sharp pencil to add fine details.
10. Finish by adding highlights with a white gel pen.