Paint a vase of scarlet poppies using Blick Artists’ Soft Pastels on Canson Mi-Teintes Touch Sanded Papers. The tough, toothy surface of this paper readily accepts these rich, velvety pastels. Follow along step by step, and using just a small assortment of pastels, learn to mix colors and create dra...
- Gently trace the template onto the pastel sheet using graphite transfer paper and a pencil, or create a preliminary sketch directly on the surface.
- Create a loose background using Dark Blue, Bright Blue, and Mint Green. Blend the colors with a soft brush or your fingers covered with gloves or finger cots.
- Place the centers of the poppies using Dark Brown.
- Fill the entire poppy area with Medium Red.
- Fill the tabletop area with Medium Gray.
- Define the vase by outlining it with Dark Blue.
- Using a Dark Brown pastel, define the stems and fill the inside area of the vase.
- Add background colors to the spaces between the flowers and define the petals’ edges. Tone lightly with Dark Yellow Ochre and Light Blue.
- Apply Medium Green to the stems, and add highlights with Light Green.
- For the poppies, add highlights with Light Pink and shadows with purple.
- Create color harmony and cohesiveness by lightly adding a few strokes of Blue, Violet, Pink, Light Green, and Yellow Ochre in the areas of the tabletop, background, and vase.