1. Unpack the Jacquard SolarFast Starter Kit contents. Following the directions, test the ink on the included fabric swatch before starting your project.
2. Plan an arrangement of feathers (shown above) or other objects in a pleasing configuration on the canvas tote. Remove the objects before applying ink. Note: Lumi Inkodye only works on natural fabrics.
3. To create a custom design, cut a piece of Grafix Dura-Lar to fit the desired space and trace or draw an image on it with a black DecoColor paint marker. Wherever the marker is applied will remain white on the fabric. Note: You can also download our PDF for the Make Art image (shown above).
4. Apply SolarFast ink to the tote with a brush or sponge in a well-ventilated room with no direct light. Soak up any excess ink with a paper towel. Set the objects or film image on top of the fabric. If the objects are lightweight, either pin them down or place a piece of clear glass or plastic over them to keep them from shifting. Cover the tote and objects with a piece of cardboard.
5. Take the tote outside to an area where it will receive direct sunlight. Place it on a flat surface and remove the cardboard. Expose the tote to direct sunlight for 5–15 minutes. The longer the ink is exposed, the darker it will become. When the desired color intensity is reached, cover the tote with cardboard and immediately take it inside.
6. Set your washing machine to the delicate setting, selecting a hot wash cycle and a cold rinse cycle. Add four capfuls of SolarFast Wash detergent (included in the Jacquard SolarFast kit). Wash the tote twice for best results. Dry as desired.
7. Now that your tote is done, try customizing T-shirts, scarves, aprons, jeans, and more! These sun-kissed projects make great gifts for all your fashion-loving friends.