How to Create Custom Alcohol Ink Mugs
1. Lightly sand blank mugs using fine-grit sandpaper, then wipe with rubbing alcohol or blending solution using a paper towel.
2. Select 2 or 3 alcohol ink colors, incorporating a metallic color depending on your desired outcome. Shake the metallic inks until you hear the rattle and the ink is no longer separated.
3. Place a disposable palette paper sheet in a butcher tray. Wear gloves and a face mask when working with alcohol inks and blending solution.
4. Working over the butcher tray, place one hand inside the mug. Squeeze to apply alcohol ink, starting at the bottom.
5. Rotate the mug in one hand while applying inks with the other, deciding how far up you want the inks to go.
6. Dilute inks using blending solution while continuously tumbling.
7. Repeat until the desired outcome is achieved.
8. To seal the alcohol inks on the mug to prevent smudging, first be sure the inks are completely dry. Wait up to 1-2 hours to be certain based on how heavily the inks are applied. Then, apply Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Glossy Medium using a dry craft brush to cover all areas where the ink is applied and allow to dry.
9. Place mug in a cool oven and heat to 300 degrees, then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
10. Gently handwash as needed.
Optional: Use a low heat craft heat gun to quickly dry inks in place.
PLEASE READ: Important Safety Precautions to follow when using Alcohol Inks and Blending Solution Before beginning this project or before using alcohol inks or blending solutions of any kind, please make sure to do the following: Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area such as a room with open windows or outside. Wear a mask to avoid directly breathing in alcohol fumes. Wear gloves to protect your hands from staining. Hold any heat or air tool (straws, hairdryers, heat guns, etc.) at least six inches away from your work surface. Please read all product instructions and labels before using them.