Bird of Paradise Block Print
1. Tear paper to an 11" x 14" size.
2. Cut a piece of transfer paper to a 12" x 12" size.
3, Tape 12" x 16" palette paper sheets to your work surface.
4. Print your design template.
5. Place nibs in linoleum cutter holders and tighten.
1. Place transfer paper, graphite side down, on the linoleum block. Place the printed design, line art side up, on top of the transfer paper and tape it in place. Use a pencil to trace over the line art and transfer it onto the block.
2. Carve the design with a linoleum cutter. Start by drawing a 1" border around the design. Use the largest gouge to carve away the block. Use a finer point gouge to carve around the edges of the design. Use fine point gouges to carve detail lines. Carve until white shows as gray areas will print and white areas will not.
3. Use the slicing gouge to cut away areas at line designations that will be inked with different colors.
4. Apply a quarter-sized amount of ink to your palette paper. Roll the brayer back and forth into the ink evenly until you hear a sticky sound. For individual colors, ink the carved blocks separately using brayers in different sizes. To create a color gradient, roll the brayer into both colors on opposite sides. Roll ink onto the blocks in desired area. Reassemble jigsaw pieces if needed.
5. Test print to ensure your block is printing as desired. Place paper on top of your carved and inked design. Apply pressure evenly, using a baren in an ironing motion until ink is transferred. Apply significant pressure. Place second element, register, and repeat.
6. Print final design on Mulberry Paper. Clean blocks and brayers with water.