The Paragon SC-2 Digital Silver and Glass Kiln has been in production since 1997, with a proven design that has been steadily refined over the years. A popular kiln for art centers, colleges, craft classes, and even engineering laboratories, the SC-2 is large enough to accommodate three shelves of silver clay, yet portable enough to transport between classes.
The SC-2's high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool because of a layer of air between it and the inner case, which is slotted to encourage air circulation. The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. The electrical components, which are located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
Affordable and completely programmable, the SC-2 lets the user select the firing schedule appropriate for the project. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. The programmer turns itself off after the firing is completed.
The SC-2 has two separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber but no element in the back of the chamber, as testing has shown that this configuration distributes the heat more evenly throughout the firing chamber.
Additional features of the SC-2 include:
- On/off toggle switch
- Built-in base (no extra stand needed)
- Door that opens 180° for easy loading
- Top vent that includes a tapered plug for lost wax casting
- 1/4" thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Optional glass view port
- Optional 6½" wide bead door with mandrel holder
- 28-page kiln instruction manual
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-Key Controller include:
- Two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold
- Design programs with up to eight segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode
- Ramp-Hold mode can store four programs
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold
- Program Review allows users to check the program before firing
- Temperature Alarm sounds when the kiln reaches a specific temperature
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout
- Delay turns the kiln on at a scheduled time
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay, or broken element
- 12-Month Warranty
- LED Lights display program, review, and firing modes
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual)
- Handy Quick Start Guide
Made in the USA.
Note — Please see Item Specs tab for a detailed listing of measurements and conversions.